Saturday, March 6, 2010

The journey begins!

Long story short, I earned my Private Pilot license in 2002. This involved a little time and a little more money... renting airplanes ain't cheap! Not to mention that the typical single-engine trainer, while reliable, is usually referred to as a 'Spam-can' by those who fly them- none too clean, and capable of a top speed of around 100 mph if you're lucky. Aerobatics? Forget about it. So after much waiting, and with the support of my lovely wife, I'm embarking on a real adventure- I'm gonna roll my own. :) This log will serve as a supplement for the FAA inspection as well.


After many months of research, I decided that sheet metal (aluminum) construction was the way to go, and that the RV-7 kit sold by Van's Aircraft was the best kit choice out there for the way I want to fly- slow and fast! The RV-7 can easily achieve speeds over 200 mph, is a well-proven and safe design, and is capable of all the basic aerobatic maneuvers as well. With a stall speed of around 50 mph, it'll slow down for eeeasy landings. Fast, maneuverable, safe and fun!





The picture above is a before-and-after of sorts. My job is to turn all the parts you see into a flight-worthy airframe! Better get some tools...

No comments:

Post a Comment