Saturday, March 6, 2010

Tools- Part 2

A few pics of the more bling-y bits. What would an airplane factory be without a rivet gun? A 3x gun in this case, with a nice teasing trigger and assorted attachments.



This is a high-rpm air drill made by Sioux. A very nice tool- lightweight and controllable.




Here we have a pneumatic squeezer. Arguably, this tool could be called a luxury rather than an absolute necessity for building an aluminum aircraft. As for me, I consider it to be money well spent. As shown, it has the standard yoke attached; I also purchased a longeron yoke and a 4" no-hole yoke, to maximize the utility of this tool.



All these air tools are hungry, gotta feed 'em! I picked up this nice cast-iron 30 gallon compressor at Lowe's. My friend Chris helped me run a 240V line into the garage, and we converted the compressor to 220/240 operation. The thing I really like about this compressor, aside from the sturdy construction, is that it pumps up to 155 psi- most units you find only go to 125 psi or so. It works very well, but I had to upgrade the regulator.

A pic of my dimpling table. The plans for the table come with the press. We had some leftover carpet, and now I can lay skins down flat for dimpling. Not a scratch!

No comments:

Post a Comment